Wednesday 30th May 2012

Response to articles on certain Spanish websites 28th & 29th May

On 28th May we noticed that Spanish language users on Twitter were incorrectly stating that we had retroactively changed our graphs.

We think that this misunderstanding was caused by confusion between our weekly stats and monthly stats.

The previous week, a blog broke the story that Chrome had overtaken Internet Explorer on a weekly basis.

We had not issued any official press release or blog post at that time.

We suspect that some journalists got confused between the weekly stats (where Chrome had overtaken IE) and the monthly stats (where Chrome had not yet overtaken IE) and came to an incorrect conclusion that we had changed our graphs.

Additionally, some articles claimed that the graphs were altered to account for Chrome prerendering. The prerendering changes (which were quite minor) were actually made much earlier at the start of May and were already in place when the Chrome story broke.

We were really surprised to see the various articles published in the Spanish media as no journalist came to us for clarification.

We have been working hard to try and communicate all this and clear up the confusion... sincere thanks to Chico Geek for helping to translate the message into Spanish.

Please feel free to contact us with any further queries.

StatCounter Team

30 May 2012

Subscribe to Global Stats by email

We respect your privacy and will never share your email address with any third party.

Understand your visitors with StatCounter

See why over 2,500,000 bloggers, web designers, marketing and SEO professionals and small business owners use StatCounter to grow their business.

Learn More